Date Night

Today was date night for Jenn and I. Actually, it was more like date day. I had spent all of this past week in Warsaw, working on the startup of one of our projects. I'm going to be back up there for the majority of this next week as well. In fact, I can't remember the last week that I didn't have to make at least one trip to Warsaw or Lafayette for work. I'm also gone every Monday evening for class, so Jenn and I haven't been able to spend a lot of quality time together lately. So we set aside Saturday as our date day. We slept in late, which was really nice. Then we headed downtown to St. Elmo's Steak House. We had heard that they had really good steaks and shrimp cocktail. We had reservations for 4pm. We didn't realize that 4pm was when they opened, so we didn't really need the reservations. We only saw four other tables full while we were there. We went to town on the food. We had salads, steaks, baked / mashed potato, bean soup, tomato juice, sauteed mushrooms, and shrimp cocktail. The shrimp cocktail was awesome. They make the sauce for it with fresh horseradish. It was really hot! I had a little bit of shrimp with a lot of sauce on it, and decided to risk the big bite. WOW! I thought my entire face was going to explode. My eyes immediately welled up, and my nose was about ready to empty out. Needless to say, I didn't have any sinus problems for the rest of the night. The salads were really good. I didn't care for the sauteed mushrooms, but Jenn seemed to like them. The steak was very good, but for the price, I expected it to be a little bit more. To be honest, it wasn't much different from a steak at Outback. It was really good though. I did have the opportunity to enjoy a couple of Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout beers, which are very good. I highly recommend trying one if you ever have the chance.

After dinner, we were hoping to talk a walk along the canal. There had been a big labor day parade earlier that day, and people were starting to gather for some fireworks. It was really crowded, and we were more interested in taking a nice walk together than fighting crowds to see fireworks. So we headed north to the St. Vincent's Hospital where Jenn's park department is putting on a race on monday. We were going to setup some tables, but the tent walls weren't up yet, and we didn't feel safe leaving the tables there. We probably took the most indirect route from downtown to the hospital possible. We got on Lafayette Rd, and just kept heading North. We didn't realize how far North we had gone until we saw the Wrecks Inc. sign. U-turn time!

After the hospital, it was time for some coffee at Barnes & Nobles. Jenn had a carmel frappuccino, and I had a caffe mocha. We walked down to Best Buy to browse and work off some of the food. I was very well behaved... I was surrounded by electronics and managed to keep my wallet in my pocket! When we got home, I ran to the neighbors to give them their Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring movie back. They loaned me the Two Towers movie. I was very impressed that Jenn was able to stay up past 11 to finish watching the movie. It must have been the coffee!

[Listening to: Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry - Punk to Funk]


Jade Mason