Movie Review: LXG

I watched several movies over the weekend. One was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. This movie was entertaining, but it didn't really break any new ground. Going in, I thought this was going to be a truly bad movie. I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I still wasn't all that impressed either. For the majority of the movie, I was kind of confused as to exactly what was going on. The special effects were nice, and but you can't make a movie on special effects alone.


The movie is built around a collection of legendary characters: a vampire, Dr. Jekyl / Mr. Hyde, Dorian Gray, The Invisible Man, Captain Nemo, and Alan Quartermain. Each of the group has been assembled to combat a mysterious person named The Fantom. The Fantom is attempting to start a world war, and the league has been assembled to stop him. I'm pretty sure that's as far as they went on the story. The characters are never developed beyond their name. One thing that surprised me is that the vampire is able to go out in daylight. I suppose there are different stories of how vampires operate. In any case, it has only been two days since I watched the flick, and I'm hard pressed to come up with any other, more interesting observation from the movie. Some of the special effects were a little overdone for my taste. That's saying something.


If you are hard up for entertainment this weekend, LXG will pass the time. You probably won't remember it by the time you have to turn the disc back in though.

0 comments:

 
Jade Mason