Vancouver Trip - Day 1

Today is my first day of the Vancouver trip. I don't look that bad considering I haven't slept in almost 36 hours. My flight this morning was at 6am, and I had to be at the airport before 5am. That meant leaving the house no later than 4am. So I figured I had better start getting read to go at 2:30am. I usually stay up a little past midnight most nights. I thought it would be futile to get just two hours of sleep, so I stayed up the whole night. I had class the night before, and I didn't get home until past 10pm. That gave me a bit of time to spend with Jenn before she went to bed. I played some video games for a couple of hours, then hit the shower to start my day.

My flights went really well. Two of my coworkers, Hack and Andy, left yesterday. They actually missed their scheduled flight and had to take a later one. They arrived at the airport at 5am for their flight, the same one I took today, only to find that the line for security was wrapped clear around the ticketing area. There were well over 500 people in line, and they were not able to make it through in time for their flight. They were able to find a later flight that left at 4:30pm, and made that one.

I was much more fortunate. I arrived at the airport to see only two folks in front of me at the ticketing / check-in counter. The security line was nearly empty, and although I received the usual airport mollestation (remove shoes, belt, fold pants down, etc.) the security check went very quickly. I read a book as I waited the remaining hour to board my flight. I had a brief layover in Chicago on my way, and that was uneventful as well. I guess Monday is the bad day to travel, and Tuesday is the good one.

Once here, the guys picked me up at the airport and I got checked in at the hotel. We then grabbed a bite to eat at the A&W restaurant on the first floor of the building we are working in, which is right next door to the hotel. It is fortunate that we won't need to do much driving, as the streets and traffic are pretty confusing.

My lack of sleep is really starting to hit me now though. I would love to just lay down and take a nap, but I know that would be bad. There is a two hour time difference, and if I nap now I'll never sleep through the night. I closed my eyes for part of the flights, but I wouldn't qualify it as sleep. I got some rest out of it, but the seats are so uncomfortable that you can't truly sleep. My arms and legs fell asleep at one point, and I had some serious pins and needles action as I tried to get the blood flowing again. I'm not sure what our dinner plans are tonight, but I'm thinking I had better grab a cup of joe as part of my meal to make sure that I don't fall asleep to early. I'll also need to be very certain that I get the alarm set before my head hits the bed. Otherwise, I run the risk of not waking up in time!

That's the update for now. I'll have more info as the week presses on.


Jade Mason