Movie Review : Bubba Ho-Tep


One of the movies we watched this weekend was Bubba Ho-Tep. I had heard some rumors that this might be a good film. Jenn and I were trying to decide on a movie to watch tonight, and I convinced her to give this one a try.


The story revolves around an aging Elvis Presley, alive and not so well in a retirement home. During his career, he became bored with the stardom, money, and fame, and decided to switch places with the best Elvis impersonator: Sebastian Haff. Elvis continues Sebastian's career, impersonating himself until, in the middle of some wild gyrations, his hip gives out. We find that Elvis is now in a retirement facility, looking back on life and finding no happiness. His life begins to have meaning again as he and another resident discover that something is killing the other patients. They take it upon themselves to track down the source, and get rid of it.


I won't ruin the rest of the plot for you, but suffice it to say that this film is way out there. Bruce Campbell, who you might know from the Evil Dead series of movies, plays the part of Elvis. He is accompanied by Ossie Davis plays the part of a fellow resident, who is convinced he is JFK. I can't think of another film I've seen that I can compare to this one. It is so wacky. The movie has a very slow pace, which will turn off anyone who is looking for a laugh a minute blockbuster. I liked it though. There are some one liners that are going to stick with me for a while.


I'm not going to suggest that everyone run out and see this film right away. It is campy and slow, and definitely not for everyone. Still, I liked it. The whole plot of the film is just so absurd, and some of the dialogue cracked me up. Jenn definitely won't give you the same review that I will though. So if you have a flair for the weird, and are looking for something to scratch that itch, this film is for you. If you are purely into the mainstream of films, steer clear.

0 comments:

 
Jade Mason