Review: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoy sci-fi, and on the spectrum of sword to laser I definitely fall strongly on the laser side. Even so, I've enjoyed fantasy in the past. I grew up on Dragonlance books, and I love a good Elder Scrolls RPG. I've been tempted to jump into the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series based on the recommendations of several of my friends with similar reading tastes, but I've always been put off by the investment. I hate to not finish a book, so if I'm not enjoying it I tend to drag out the time to finish it rather than do the honest thing and put it away. So when I received "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" from my father-in-law, it was a bit of a boon. Here was a collection of three short stories set in Martin's world, a fine sampler to see if I would enjoy reading more or not.

The short answer is, I did enjoy it. These three stories of Dunk and Egg were fun and exciting. I believe existing fans of the series will likely get more from them as I was lost among the various sigils and names, but that didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of Dunk's journey. The artwork throughout the story is fantastic. A three star rating may not seem to reflect my words, but I think it is a fair rating based on my subjective enjoyment. I'm unlikely to pick this book up again, nor am I likely to highly recommend it, but it did further encourage me to read more of Martin's series.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

 
Jade Mason